Lightning hits Hanham house

August 01 2019

THESE photos show the damage caused to a house in Hanham after a lightning bolt struck the property.


The lightning, which struck during a storm in the early hours of Tuesday July 23, caused an explosion when it hit the home's chimney stack.
Fire crews were called to the property, on the corner of High Street and Creswicke Avenue, and had to remove the chimney pot.
A spokesman for Avon Fire and Rescue said: "At 12.17am one crew from Kingswood fire station, along with the turntable ladder from Temple, were called to a property that had been struck by lightning on the High Street in Hanham.
"On arrival, firefighters used the turntable ladder and small gear to remove the lose chimney pot from the roof.
"They also inspected the property using a thermal imaging camera to check there was no further damage.”
Storms swept across the South West with many people kept awake watching the drama unfold.THESE photos show the damage caused to a house in Hanham after a lightning bolt struck the property.