Man taken to hospital after fire in flat kitchen

November 08 2016

A MAN in his 60s was taken to hospital after a kitchen fire at a flat in Hanham.

A MAN in his 60s was taken to hospital after a kitchen fire at a flat in Hanham.

Neighbours had to evacuate surrounding flats while firefighters put out the blaze.

Three fire crews were called to the second floor flat in the High Street, near Hanham Garage, at about 6.45pm on Tuesday November 1.

The man had been in the flat at the time but managed to escape before crews arrived. 

He was treated by firefighters and paramedics at the scene for the effects of smoke inhalation, before being taken to hospital by ambulance.

Six flats in the building were evacuated as crews dealt with the incident. 

The fire was contained to the second floor flat in the three-storey building, causing heat and smoke damage.

It is thought the fire started accidentally while food was being cooked under a grill.

More than 50 per cent of all accidental house fires attended by Avon Fire & Rescue Service start in the kitchen.