Right place, right time, prompt treatment: Ian's life is saved

February 01 2018

"I have no recollection of what happened, but I am very grateful for what they did."


From Page 1

"I have no recollection of what happened, but I am very grateful for what they did."

Ian was at his home in Longwell Green when he became unwell at around 12.30am.

Charlie drove his father to hospital with the rest of the family, but they were forced to stop beside a busy junction when Ian lost consciousness.

Nicky said: "Ian had said he didn’t feel well, but we really had to persuade him to go to hospital. In the car he made a funny noise. He stopped breathing and starting dribbling. I couldn’t find a pulse. We didn’t know if he would survive. It was very traumatic."

Charlie flagged down a police firearms team who were inside their vehicle at a red traffic light. They pulled him out of the vehicle, and began to administer CPR and defibrillation.

Firearms officer Ian Womack said: "We did what we could for Ian. In the circumstances, I feel we left him in the best possible condition for the paramedics. It was great teamwork.

"I was so happy to hear Ian was alive and well. It shows how beneficial it is to be able to put first aid training into practice."

SWASFT operations officer, Michael Anning; paramedic, Ashley Campbell, and emergency care assistant, Frances Morton, arrived to take over from the police. Ian was given several defibrillator shocks, before being transferred by ambulance to the Bristol Royal Infirmary.

Ian was put in a coma for 48 hours, because there was a lack of oxygen to his brain. But he has since made a good recovery.

Michael said: "With a cardiac arrest, it’s all about getting there as soon as possible. Thankfully the police were in the right place at the right time, and between us we were able to give him prompt treatment.

"This case shows that prompt CPR and defibrillation can mean the difference between surviving or not. We were also joined by Jules, a basics doctor who responded promptly to the incident, he performed advanced interventions at the roadside. I was delighted to hear Ian had survived."

The family attended Almondsbury police operations department on January 16 to thank the police and paramedics.