Tesco abandons plan for store on Kleeneze land

November 08 2016

SUPERMARKET giant Tesco has confirmed it no longer has plans build a store at the former Kleeneze site in Hanham.

SUPERMARKET giant Tesco has confirmed it no longer has plans build a store at the former Kleeneze site in Hanham.

The land will now be sold and speculation has already begun that the site will be used for housing to meet the district's shortfall.

Tesco had been battling to develop the derelict site in Anstey's Road since it purchased it back in 2003.

Residents mounted a high-profile campaign against the proposed new store, saying the site, surrounded by narrow roads, was not suitable.

They were also concerned about the effect it would have on traders in the High Street.

Despite this Tesco bulldozed on, revising plans until permission was finally granted in 2012 for a 2,918sq m store with 228 parking spaces.

Since then the community has been left wondering 'Will they, won't they?' after building work failed to materialise.

When it was announced in 2014 that Tesco had seen the worst sales performance in a decade, people assumed the company would abandon plans to build in Hanham.

However in early 2015, Tesco boss Dave Lewis said the store would still go ahead despite plans to halt 49 planned developments across the country.

Now Tesco has confirmed it is finally pulling out and will sell the land.

A Tesco spokesman said: “Following a detailed review we have taken the very difficult decision not to proceed with our planned Hanham superstore.

“This decision was not taken lightly and we realise that many people locally will be disappointed. We are grateful for the support that has been shown for our plans over the years and our priority now will be to ensure the site is sold so that it can play a positive part in Hanham’s future development.”